Cyril SMITH (1897-19..)

9th Infantry Brigade AIF


War Medal:42492 and Victory Medal:41602 to SGT 561 C SMITH 35BN AIF


Sergeant: 561 Cyril SMITH.

Born: 1897. Murrurundi, New South Wales, Australia. Birth Cert:14428/1897.

Died: Unknown. Not in New South Wales.

Father: Julius W.A. Smith.

Mother: Nellie "Ellen" Smith. nee:


Cyril Smith served with the 15th Infantry Militia prior to World War 1 and enlisted with the AIF at Newcastle, N.S.W on the 23rd November 1915 and was allocated to B Company 35th Battalion AIF in January 1916 when the Battalion was raised and was an original member of the Battalion. Cyril was prompted to Acting Corporal and to Sergeant on the 29th April just before he embarked with the 35th Battalion on the 1st May 1916 from Sydney onboard HMAT A24 "Benalla". Cyril disembarked with the Battalion at Plymouth, England on the 9th July 1916 where they were entrained to the 9th Training Battalion at the Durrington Army Camp at Larkhill. Here the Battalion settled down to hard training, which included Route Marching, Trench Digging, Bomb Practice, Musketry and General Camp Routine.

Cyril proceeded overseas for France on the 21st November 1916 and was attached to 3rd Division Depot until the 7th May 1917 when he rejoined the 35th Battalion as they moved into the Messines Sector.

7th June 1917.


The 3rd Australian Divisions first major offencive was at Messines Ridge on the 7th June 1917. The Australian 3rd Division was a part of the II Anzac Corps which was allotted to the first assault. The 25th New Zealand, 3rd Australian Division with the 4th Australian Division in reserve. The 4th Division were battle hardened troops who had fought many major battles.The 3rd Australian Division were having problems getting to the "jump off" point. The day before the 9th and 10th Infantry Brigades were bombarded by German Gas-Shells around Hill 63 and Plugstreet Wood. Many of the Aussies were not wearing gas masks, but dispite this they pressed on even though they received 500 casulties.

They made it to the "jump off" point but only just with some of the men from the 9th and 10th going straight over the top without stopping. The mines went up and the attack commenced behind a protective barrage. The II Anzac Corps were attacking on the right with their objective being the southern shoulder of the ridge which included Messines, the Dover and St Yves areas as far south to the east of Plugstreet Wood.

Major General Sir John MONASH's 3rd Division had to contend with a tricky 3 mile approach out of Plugstreet Wood and after the German gas attack, but they were not detered. The 9th Infantry Brigade under Brigadier General: Alexander JOBSON and the 10th Infantry Brigade under Brigadier General W R NICHOLL had just made the jumping off point but some of the men did not stop, going straight into the assault from the approach march.

Their objective lay between St Yves and the Douve. The mines at Trench 127 and Trench 12 at Factory Farm were laid to aid this task. The explosions erupted a few seconds before zero hour and created craters of 200 feet in diameter, completely obliterating the German defence line as the 9th and 10th Infantry Brigades went over the top. The mine crates forced the 9th and 10th Brigades to veer to the left and right which caused some confusion with the main assault. It is testimony to the quality of training that every man knew the ground, tasks and objectives so well.

Private: 1804 John CARROLL 33rd Battalion, rushed the enemy's trench and bayoneted four of the German occupants. He then noticed a comrade in difficulties and went to his assistance, killing another German. He then attacked single handed a German Machine Gun Team, killing all three of them and capturing the gun. He later rescued two of his comraded who had been buried alive by German Shell Fire, and in spite of heavy shelling and machine gun fire he dug them out alive and saved them from certain death. John was awarded the Victoria Cross.

The German foward zone was completely engulfed and taken by the main assault. The two supporting battalions of each brigade then passed the leading battalion to continue the advance. The men were constantly re-supplied and the ridge was taken. There were many German prisoners taken during the offencive. The 3rd Division was well ahead with the 9th Infantry Brigade pushing on beyond Grey Farm, and on the right the 10th Infantry Brigade were veering left towards Septieme Barn north of Douve.

The German resistance was heavy but was generally brushed aside by tanks and artillery before the infantry had to become too involved.The 4th Bavarian Divisions Artillery had made little impact, but as the day wore on the 3rd Division and later the 4th Australian Division received many casulties from German artillery. (70% of all casulties during WW1 were from artillery).

By 9:00am nearly 6 hours after the assault began the Germans were in dissaray, but there was a major problem as the Australians received less casulties as anticipated and when ordered to dig into the ridge they had so many men, that some could not find shelter. the 35th battalion were dug in around Seaforth Farm.

The second phase of the operation was to take the Oosttaverne Line. The 3rd Australian Division would now be in reserve with the 4th Division attacking. The 9th Infantry Brigade (33-34-35-36Bn) were near Thatched Cottage facing Warneton. The river Lys was to their right and the Plugstreet Wood was now behind them.

Once their objectives were taken the troops consolidated. A barrarge to stop and counter attack was shortnened and caught three battalions which had to retire. By 9:00pm this part of the Oosttaverne Line was abandonded. At 10:45pm General Godley ordered the 3rd and 4th Divisions to retake it. This they did by the early hours of the 8th of June.

The Battle for Messines Ridge during May-June 1917 saw 35 officers and 1,631 other ranks loose their lives.

9th Infantry Brigade Casulties.
33rd Battalion. AIF 8 Officers 382 Other ranks
34th Battalion. AIF 10 Officers 378 Other ranks
35th Battalion. AIF 5 Officers 431 Other ranks
36th Battalion. AIF 9 Officers 421 Other ranks
9th Machine Gun Company. AIF 2 Officer 17 Other ranks
9th Light Trench Mortor Battery. 1 Officer 2 Other ranks

Field Dressing Station, Messines 07/06/1917


7th July 1917.

33rd Battalion AIF relieved by the 35th Bn AIF in Support Trenches MESSINES SECTOR 35th Bn went to Billets at NEUVE EGLISE. Casulties during the tour of duty in MESSINES SUPPORTS 28 including 4 killed.

7th-11th July 1917. NEUVE EGLISE.

Rested and Trained whilst in Billets and also supplied small working parties.

11th July 1917. MESSINES.

Relieved 43rd Bn AIF in Case of Supports Messines Sector. (RIVER DOUVE to STIGNASTFARM) Brigade Relief. Supplied working parties while in Supports. We were at times subjected to fairly severe enemy shell fire while in Close Supports Casulties from 11-7-17 to 17/18-7-17 were 34 including 6 killed.

17th July 1917.

Relieved 35th Bn AIF in front line Messines Sector. 19th Lieutenant: Wynter Wallace WARDEN wounded whilst supervising transport of rations over Messines Ridge.

1st August 1917.

NEUVE EGLISE Battalion at rest in DOUVE RIVER CAMP after comming fom MESSINES SECTOR. 3/8/17. 7:00am Battalion leaved DOUVE RIVER CAMP and marches via NEUVE EGLISE and STEENWERET to YIEUX BERQUIN AREA. Battalion arrives at billets at 10:30am Battalion Headquarters at Le YERRIER.

(35th Battalion War Diary)

Cyril reported to hospital on the 10th August and was Invalded to Estaples to the 24th General Hospital suffering from a Disability before he was sent back to England onboard the S.S. "Princess Elizabeth" on the 24th of August where he was admitted to the Suffolk Hospital the next day where he was treated for Deformity of Feet. upon his discharge Cyril was marched in the the No: 1 Command Depot at Sutton Veny before he embarked from England on the 21st of December 1918 for Australia and was discharged from the AIF on the 4th April 1919.

War Medal:42492 and Victory Medal:41602 to 561 SGT.C.SMITH.35BN A.I.F.

Cyril's War Medal:42492 and Victory Medal:41602 to 561 SGT.C.SMITH.35BN A.I.F. were auctioned in December 2015. I was an underbidder and unable to secure for the Harrower Collection. Cyril's medals were again auctioned in January 2016 and I acquired them for the Harrower Collection.

Family Information

Cyril was a single 18 year old Railway Porter from "Killingsworth" West Wallsend, N.S.W. prior to enlistment. He served for 4 years with the Senior Cadets, 3 month's with the 15th Infantry Militia prior to World War 1. Clyde William Smith died at Wickhamn N.S.W. Death Cert:13303/1920.

Military Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

Commonwealth of Australia (National Archives of Australia)

Under Construction; 05/12/2015-15/03/2017.

Web Counter
Web Counter