Stanmore Robert Stace PLUMMER (1897-1935)

9th Infantry Brigade AIF


Victory Medal: to 7518 PTE S.R.PLUMMER. 34BN A.I.F.


Private: 7518 Stanmore Robert Stace PLUMMER.

Born: 1897. Kempsey, New South Wales, Australia. Birth Cert:13158/1897.

Married: 1920. Kempsey, New South Wales. Australia. Marriage Cert:19204/1920.

Wife: Olive Mary Plummer. nee: Wheeldon. (1893-1964)

Died: 9th August 1935. Prince Alfred Hospital, Newtown via Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Death Cert:17116/1935.

Father: Thomas James Plummer. (1868-1944)

Mother: Margaret "Mara" Amelia Plummer. nee: Farren. (1872-1944)


Stanmore Plummer enlisted with the AIF at Kempsey N.S.W. on the 22nd February and entrained to the Sydney Agricultural Show Ground where he had his medical and was allocated to the 25th Reinforcements, 13th Battalion AIF in Sydney, N.S.W. He was entrained to the Liverpool Army Camp where he continued his training until the Reinforcements entrained to Sydney and embarked from Sydney onboard HMAT A 74 "Marathon" on the 10th May 1917 where the Reinforcements disembarked at Devonport, England and were marched in to the 4th Training Battalion at Codford.

HMAT A74 Marathon

HMAT A74 "Marathon"

Stanmore and the Reinforcements proceeded overseas for France on the 4th of December 1917 via Southampton to Reinforce the 34th Battalion AIF but Stanmore was admitted to Hospital on the 9th of December before he was marched to the Lines. Stanmore was discharged from Hospital on the 28th of December to the 3rd Division Base Depot before he was marched to the 34th Battalion Lines where he was Taken on in Strenght with the 34th Battalion AIF in the field on the 3rd January 1918.

18th January 1918.

The 34th Battalion at one hour's notice was turned out for a practice "Defence of Meteren" and all Ranks gave a good account of themselves. During the stay here Picquets were supplied and also a Working Party to salvage dead timber from Ploegsteert Wood. A number of Lectures were given and N.C.O's attended a demonstration at Wisques Bridge School. On the 26th January the Battalion proceeded by route march to Bulford Lines and the following day took over Strong Points on the Corps Line. Battalion Headquarters and Details moving to Romarin Camp.

on the 3rd February General: William Riddell BIRDWOOD. presented Ribbons and Medals to the men of the Battalion. The 33rd BATTALION having relieved the men in the Strong Points, they rejoined the balance at Romarin Camp. Lieutenant Colonel. Ernest Edward MARTIN. having gone to England, Major: Walter Arnold LeRoy FRY. assumed Command. Working Parties were supplied for the strengthening of the Corps Line, Cable Laying and timber getting in Ploegsteert Wood.

Lance Corporal: 2291 Peter George COPPOCK. M.M.

On 25th February the Battalion moved out and was conveyed by light rail to Racine Dump, and then marched to the Sector south of la douve River at Bas Warneton, to relieve to 40th Battalion in the Front Line. A Raiding Party was lest at the Camp for the purpose of training. The Front Line consisted of a series of Strong Posts, the two on our Front bring Furze Cottage, known as "Victory", and La Potterie Farm, known as "Watchful". The Battalion was a 2 Company Front. With 2 companies in the Front Line, 1 in Support and 1 in Reserve. Standing Patrols were supplied and the Gaps patrolled, as well as No Man's Land each night. Wiring and general improvement of the defences were carried out. The weather was intensely cold with some snow. The enemy shelled our Sector, causing several casualties, including Lieutenant: 2181 Rex Bernard YORK wounded.


3rd March 1918.

(2) 9:00am. Weather dull and very cold. Our Artillery fairly active throughout the day, Enemy Artillery quiet. 11:45am. 9th Infantry Brigade Raiding Party of 300 strong racked enemy trenches opposite 33rd Battalion Sector on our right. Raid very successful 1 Officer 11 other ranks being brought back prisoners. 34th Battalion casualties in the raid were 1 other ranks Killed 3 other ranks Wounded. There was no Artillery retaliation on our Sector.

Lance Corporal: 2597 John Henry JOHNSTON.

(1) At 11.45pm on the 3rd March a combined 9th Brigade Raid took place, which proved most successful. One Officer and 11 Other Ranks were brought back as prisoners. Our casualties were 3 wounded. The following night the brigade Raiders again entered the enemy Trenches ans succeesed in killing 40 of the enemy.

Private: 7533 Walter Godfrey SMITH. 34th BN AIF. Killed in Action 05/03/1918 France.

This Raid however was not so successful as the previous night. The Battalion losing one of its efficient Officers Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE. These Raids were well organised and the men, who had been especially trained, were well equipped. On the second night 100 men of the Battalion took part. The object of the Raid was to blow up Dug Outs and Tunnels. The Assembly Point was in the front of the 33rd Battalion Outpost near No: 7 Post in the front of the Sugar Refinery. Our men were in "C"Company of the Raiders, with Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE in charge. Lieutenant Colonel John Alexander MILNE, 36th Battalion was in charge of the Brigade Raid. Each man carried three of four Bombs. Some were Rifle Grenadies, others Lewis Gunners, some Bombers and also Bayonet Men. Most were dressed in Tommy Uniforms. The Demolition Party carried special charges and detonators. It rained heavily during march to the Assembly Point and the men enjoyed the hot Cocoa and Coffee supplied by the Y.M.C.A on the way up.

Warenton Trench

The Barrage opened at 12:50am 1 Officer and 4 Other Ranks went forward to lay the tape for direction. Seven minutes later the Covering Party went out and laid in the enemy wire, 45 yards from his Trenches. This Party was armed with Lewis Guns, Bombs and grenades and was in charge of Sergeant: 841 William Samuel MUDFORD. The Main Raiding Party followed the tape and passing through the gaps cut the wire, entering the Trenches. Some strong opposition was encountered from the enemy, with Grenades and Machine Gun fire. Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE while standing on the parapet, directing operations, was hit in the chest and side by Machine Gun Bullets. Lieutenant: 64 Alfred James FELL. and his Party proceeded up the Communication Trench, while Sergeant: 145 Charles Henry NUNN worked along the Front Line to the left. Much opposition was met, as the enemy was apparently waiting in strong force. After six minutes they withdrew, bringing Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE out, who died on the way back. Lieutenant: 12944 Mervyn REES who was in charge of another Party, also returned after doing good work. Shortly afterwards the Covering Party under Sergeant: 841 William Samuel MUDFORD. returned and the 33rd BATTALION again took over the Post. Later the enemy retailated with heavy Shell Fire.

(4) On the 4th March 1918 34th Battalion Company Commander summoned Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE to his dugout. ‘Warning order, Ben. We’ve got a manoeuvre on tonight and our company’s drawn the short straw. Make all preparations, will you? And by the way, you’ll be leading the push.’ BRODIE passed on the information to his platoon commanders and then settled into his dugout to get some rest. Too stimulated to sleep, he reached into his pack and extracted his writing pad to start a letter to his wife. Later, the Commanding Officer conducted the briefing on the plan of attack for the night’s raid, which was to be the same strength as the night before. Sergeant: 841 William Samuel MUDFORD. you’ll take the covering party on the left flank. You’ll have the Lewis guns, the bombers and plenty of bombs. The right flank will be handled by the 33rd. Lieutenant: 64 Alfred James FELL. you’ll have the taping party and support Sergeant Nunn with the demolition charges. Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE you’ll be leading our blokes—about a hundred in all. Your mission is to blow up the tunnels and the dugouts, capture whoever you can and get the hell out. And don’t worry, we’ll have artillery support. The barrage starts at 0050 hours. Any questions?’

The men checked their weapons again. Most carried pistols, some carried clubs studded with nails and each of the raiders carried three or four bombs stuffed into the pockets of their tunics. As they waited till it was time to make their way to the assembly point, the heavens opened up, soaking the Diggers to the skin and creating a sea of viscous mud that clogged the soles of their boots. Volunteers of the YMCA and Salvation Army mingled with the troops, handing out cups of hot cocoa and coffee until it was time to go. As the 18-pounders commenced firing, signalling the start of the raid, Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE dispatched the officer and four Diggers to lay the forming-up tape. Seven minutes later, he sent out Sergeant: 841 William Samuel MUDFORD'S. covering party.3 Using the tape as a guide in the dark, they took up positions in the German wire emplacements—a mere 45 metres from the enemy.

The main raiding party moved out, passing through the gaps that had been cut in the wire. Suddenly, a flare burst above them, creating pandemonium as the pale light illuminated the battlefield. ‘Go! Go! Go!’Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE yelled, waving his troops forward. The enemy attacked relentlessly with grenades and machine-guns. Captain: 717 Benjamin Greenup BRODIE stormed up to the parapet, urging the Diggers into the trench. As he directed his men towards shelter, a burst from a machine-gun hit him in the side and chest. He dropped to his knees, but continued to yell commands. The stretcher-bearers grabbed their fallen captain and frantically pushed shell dressings into his gaping wounds.

BRODIE'S second in command, Lieutenant: 64 Alfred James FELL., went about setting the explosives, while Sergeant: 145 Charles Henry NUNN led a party along the trench to the left. Reconnoitering around a bend in the trench, NUNN saw a large enemy force moving toward them. The Germans had anticipated the incursion and planned on trapping the raiders before they could withdraw. NUNN sent a runner to Fell with a message, 'Germans coming, lots of them!’ Lieutenant: 64 Alfred James FELL. immediately gave the order to withdraw. He then hurriedly made his way back to BRODIE and knelt down beside the badly wounded officer, who by now had been placed on a stretcher with a knapsack supporting his head. BRODIE grabbed FELL by the uniform, pulling him closer. ‘Make sure you account for everyone before we leave, FELL’, he muttered. As they made their way back to their lines, Brodie repeatedly questioned his stretcher-bearer, Private: 2861 Arthur FREW. (Australian Field Ambulance), on the state of his men.5 FREW reassured his patient that all was well, realising that although BRODIE was gravely wounded, the officer’s concern was not for himself but for the safety of his men. As they reached the protection of the parapet, a relieved FREW leaned nearer the officer’s head. ‘We’ve made it, Sir, we’ve…’ But it was too late, BRODIE was dead.

(1) During the afternoon enemy Planes were very active and a squadron flew over. One of the Planes released a paper balloon carrying pamphlets. These were collected and sent to Divisional Headquarters. At 2.40pm on 6th March Warneton Tower was brought down by the 5th shot of a 15 inch Gun, much to the delight of the Troops who heartily cheered its downfall. On 7th March the Battalion, on being relieved by the 24th Battalion marched to Hyde Park Corner and were conveyed by light railway to Romarin Camp. The following day the men marched to Steenwereck and entrained for Desures. Having detrained, the Battalion marched to Billets at Le Wast, arriving at 11.00pm on 9th March. The Billets were comfortable but somewhat scattered. The weather was fine and mild.

The Transport travelled by road from Romarin Camp, arriving in grand condition and were complimented on their smartness. Training was carried out in the mornings, while the afternoons were devoted to sports. The men were given leave to boulogne and St Omer. A Brigade School was formed under Major: Walter Arnold LeRoy FRY. and Major: Harry Lambert Edward Dixon WHEELER. became Commanding Officer of the Battalion. On 22nd March the Battalion left Le Mast and after marching to Lottinghem, entrained for Abeele, where it arrived the next day and marched to Waton. That evening Orders were received to be prepared to move and that all surplus baggage, including Officers' valises, was to be dumped. Leaving Waton on 24th March the Battalion marched to near Abeele and embussed for Wallon-Cappel in the Sercus area. On arriving at Hazebrouck the men debussed and marched to Le Belle Hotesse, and were under Orders to be ready to move at any moment.


On the 26th March the Battalion and Transport marched to Steenbecque Station and entrained for Doullens, where on arrival proceeded by route march via Arras main road to Henn and billeted. The train journey was most uncomfortable, as the men were packed into trucks like sheep. Four Strong Points were garrisoned near the villiage by "A" Company, in addition to Strong Points by the ROYAL SCOTS FUSILLIERS. The morning of 27th March broke fine and cold at 4:00am the Battalion marched to Thienes where it was met at 7:00am by the Brigade Omnibus Train and conveyed to Franvillers, arriving at 2:00pm. The enemy was sending over a few Shells and most of the civilians had left the villiage. Many of them were met hurrying along the roads with whatever things they could carry. some had waggons, others carts, barrows and perambulators. Many were very aged and a lot of young children were with them. Quite a number of these people returned to the villiage when they saw the Australians arriving and others who had not left called out "It will be all well now, the Hun will not come any further.

An hour later the Battalion marched to within a Kilometer of Heilly and rested in a gully near the Brickworks whilst wawiting Orders and the men had a hurried meal. Two enemy Planes flew over and dropped what appeared to be messages, but some of the men who were nearby ran to pick them up discovered they were Bombs. The Planes, which had our markings, opened with Machine guns and wounded two English soldiers. One hour later the men were moved through Heilly and occupied Trenches in the Corps Line. The enemy were shelling heavily now and there were some casualties. A few English Troops who were digging Trenches on the crest and had only one Machine gun, were relieved. a Party of Scouts under Sergeant: 2336 George Ross JOHNSTON went out and worked from the Sugar Mills at Ribemont to the left for a distance of 400 yards, but no enemy was encountered. The men occupied this line until 11:00pm, during which time they had a hot meal and proceeded to bonnay Where they arrived at 4:00am on 28th March, very tired and rested all day. Local reports were that the enemy had passed through this villiage during the day, in armoured and drink were plentiful and the troops enjoyed themselves whilst they had the opportunity.

On 29th March the C.O. and Officers reconnoitred the Aubigny-Vaux Line held by the 33rd BATTALION and at 8:00pm the Battalion marched to Cachy. As the enemy was expected to attack early in the morning, the men stood in readiness until after daylight. Some heavy Shells were comming over and Aircraft were frequently having air fights. English Troops were coming back in some disorder, with remarks that Jerry was coming over the hill in mass formation. After stand down some of the men went into Villers-Bretonneux and when returning to the Unit were stopped by British Cavalry. On 30th March the Battalion marched from Cachy to Bois d'Abbe abd bivouaced in readiness to go forward as Counter Attack Troops.

Rain was falling and the men got what improvised shelter they could. "B" Teams were sent to blangy Tronville, where the Quartermaster's Store and Transport were also stationed. At 9:30am the Battalion moved up to a position to support the 33rd BATTALION who were attacking on the North side of Bois de Hangard and Lancers Wood. The men moved in Artillery Formation with the C.O. Lieutenant Colonel: Ernest Edward MARTIN, leading on his favourite grey horse. Everyone was subjected to heavy Shell Fire from the enemy, who were also shelling Hangard Wood with his Heavies. Here a number of English and Scottish Troops were met. "A" Company was sent forward to report to the 33rd BATTALION. The O.C. Captain: Telford Graham GILDER reconnoitred and found that "B" Company of the Battalionhad suffered casualties and that the enemy was still holding the ridge, and it was decided to attack the enemy's position. At 8:00pm "A" Company moved in two waves and then having formed one wave the whole Company attacked the ridge, driving the enemy out of what was apparently his Picquet Line.

The advance continued and the enemy was driven out of his continuous Line at the point of the bayonet. At this point several prisoners were taken and about 60 of the enemy killed or wounded. Several of our wounded had to be left, as the demand on the Stretcher Bearers had been heavy, but were brought in later during the night. Enemy Machine Gun Fire was heavy on the left and caused the death of 2nd Lieutenant: 1973 Rueben PARKES. This system was held for about two hours. In the meantime Patrols were sent out on the right flank to establish communications the the 33rd BATTALION. These encountered heavy fire from the enemy Posts behind our Line on this flank. Touch was eventually being made, it was decided to move back about 250 yards and dig in to conform to the Line held by the 33rd BATTALION, thus filling the gap of about 600 yards. At 1:30am the enemy appeared on the skyline advancing in extended order. This apparent Counter Attack was completely broken up by our Machine Gun Fire. "B" Company had also occupied position in the Line but had no actual fighting. At 3:00am these were relieved by a SURREY REGIMENT.

On 31st March the men rested in Cachy until the enemy Shelling caused casualties and the Battalion moved out and occupied a position in Bois d'Abbe, in readiness as counter attack Troops. Whilst here Orders were received to dig a succession of Posts East of the Wood. The enemy was now shelling the whole area very heavily and even the Food had to be served under Shell Fire. At 3:00pm on 2nd April Orders were received to stand to for a Counter attack from Dormart to Hangard Wood, but the Cavalry having cleaned up the situation, the attack was cancelled. Rain was falling and, with the continuous Shelling, conditions were most uncomfortable.

(1) 34th Battalion Short Story

4th-5th April 1918


The Strength of the 9th Infantry Brigade was about 2,250 but their casulties during the 2 days of fighting numbered 30 Officers and 635 men either killed in action or missing.

9th Infantry Brigade Casulties.4th-5th April 1918
33rd Battalion. AIF 3 Officers 82 Other ranks
34th Battalion. AIF 5 Officers 120 Other ranks
35th Battalion. AIF 9 Officers 282 Other ranks (including 44 missing)
36th Battalion. AIF 12 Officers 133 Other ranks (including 1 missing)
9th Machine Gun Company. AIF 1 Officer 18 Other ranks (including 4 missing)

16th April 1918.

’On the 16th April the rumours of a new German Offensive against Amiens seemed to be definitely confirmed. A German prisoner, taken by the French volunteered the that Villers Bretonneux was to be attacked the next day. The 5th Australian Division, which had come line on the night of the 6th/7th April and held the sector from Villers Bretonneux (inclusive) to the Somme canal was warned to be ready to retake the town, if captured by attack from the north ; and other preparations and counter-preparations were made. About 4 A.M. on the 17th Villers Bretonneux, Bois d'Aquenne, to the west of it and the village of Cachy, to the south, were heavily drenched for three hours with phosgene, mustard and irritant gasses. But no assault followed. As soon as possible the local garrison, consisting of the 6/London(58 Dvn) and the 33rd Australian Battalion, was got out of the shelters in the town into the trenches around it. The gas shelling was repeated in the evening from 4 to 7 P.M., next morning and on the following days, being increased so as to include Bois I'Abbe, but with greatly reduced results. Nevertheless it was impossible for anyone to move that area without feeling some ill-effects from the mustard gas, and there were in all, 1,074 gas casualties'.

17th April 1918.

About 600 rounds of Gas Shells came over the Sector, but although things were most unpleasant, no great damage was done. On the 18th another 1,000 Gas Shells Fell. This time there were some casualties, whilst nearly all the emn were more ore less affected. Whilst here the improvements of the defences were continued by the digging of trences and wiring.

Gassed Soldiers Villers Bretonneux 1918.

Gassed Australian soldiers awaiting treatment near Bois de L'Abbe outside Villers-Bretonneux 1918.

Stanmore was treated by the Australian Field Ambulance on the 17th April 1918 after this action and was evacuated to the 6th General Hospital at Rouen on the 19th of April 1918. Stanmore was treated for Gas Poisoning and after he was discharged from Hospital was marched in at Havre on the 22nd of May before being marched out to the Front on the 31st May 1918. Stanmore rejoined his unit on the 6th June.

14th July 1918.

Weather showery at intervals. Our artillery carried out harrassing fire throughout the night. Our aircraft was fairly active. consistant hostile shelling of SAILLY-le-Sec and Support Areas by enemy. 7;15pm. Parties of 3's and 4's, about 50 ni all of enemy were observed entering TAILLOUX WOOD at P.23a. Artillery were notified and wood was shelled. 3 Enemy Planes flew low over our lines during the day. "B" Teams (Nuculeus of Battalion) cancelled and all men Bandsmen included were brought up the line. Casulties for the day 1 Officer. K.I.A. Lieutenant: 2036 Vere Cummings STEVENSON. M.M and 14 O/R's.

16th July 1918.

8:00am. Trenches in very bad condition owing to continues rain. Wellington and Owl Trenches 2" to 2.6" of water. 10:55am. Enemy put a heavy barrage 4.25 & 5.95 arraigned and alond Wellington and Owl Trenches. No casulties but great deal of material damage to trenches Desultory fire continues all day. 2:00pm to 6:00pm. Our 4.5" Hows & 6" Hows were turned on to destroy 3 German Strong Points, which were causing considerable trouble to A Company and several casulties from bombs & small calibre minerwerfers thrown into front line from these positions.

Arrangements had been made for a minor enterprise to capture these strong points at 10:00pm tonight. At 9:00pm the C.O rang up Brigade and informed the Brigadier that the artillery had failed to hit the strong points and requested that a minor operation be postponed. Instructions were received at 9:15pm to go on with the enterpise. At 10:00pm Lieutenant: Edward George HODGES and 45 men and 2 Lewis Guns attacked the Strong Points. Immediately this party left out trench, they were met with a barrage of Machine-Gun fire, bomb and grenades from the Strong points. The party pushed on with great detetmination until they came to CINEMA ROAD.

Here thay were exposed to enfilade Machine-Gun fire, and found that the Strong Points were filled with the enemy standing shoulder to shoulder awaiting the attack. Lieutenant HODGES successfully arranged the withdrawal of his party under very difficult circumstances. At 10:58pm Captain: Robert Joseph STEWART. reported the enemy heavily bombarding front support lines of A (Right) Company and there was early indications of an attack by the enemy. He fired the S.O.S. and our answering barrage prevented the development of the enemy's attack. Casulties for minor enterprise were Killed 2, Wounded 10.

(34th Battalion War Diary)

Stanmore was detached to the School of Instruction on the 2nd August until the 26th of August before he was granted leave in Paris from the 30th December until the 15th January 1919 where he was again detached to the 24th Company Australian Army Service Corps until the 7th April 1919 when he was Charged with being A.W.L. from the 29-4-19. 9:00hrs to 2-5-19. 14:00hrs and was ordered to forfiet 3 Days Pay by Lieutenant Colonel: A.K.HERON. Stanmore was marched out for England on the 19th May 1919 and disembarked in England the next day. Stanmore returned to Australia onboard the "Prinz Hubertus" on the 3rd July 1919 and returned to Australia on the 27th Auguat and was discharged from the AIF on the 26th September 1919.

Prinz Hubertus


Stanmore's Victory Medal: PTE 7518 S.R.PLUMMER 34 BN A.I.F. July 2013, the Collectors Bag and was acquired in January 2016 by Alisa Patterson who Donated this medal to the Harrower Collection. Donations and Contributions.

Family Information

Stanmore was a married 19 year old Farmer from South West Rocks via the Manning River upon enlistment. Stanmore is buried at Frederickton Cemetery. Stanmore's parents Thomas and Margaret Plummer were married in 1885 at Sydney, N.S.W. Marriage Cert:633/1885 and had 6 children. Lionel Hastings Plummer born 1885 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Birth Cert:35945/1885 and died 16/02/1916 at Liverpool, N.S.W. Death Cert:3540/1916. Stanmore Robert Plummer born 1897 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Birth Cert:13158/1897 and died 1935 at Newtown via Sydney, N.S.W. Death Cert:17116/1935. Alison F Plummer born 1898 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Birth Cert:22255/1898 and died 1913 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Death Cert:9601/1913. Valerie F Plummer born 1902 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Birth Cert: 22797/1902 and died 1902 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Death Cert:14221/1902. George Osborne Plummer born 1904 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Birth Cert:3884/1904. and died 11/07/1955. Kingsley Thomas Plummer born 1907 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Birth Cert:4252/1907 and died 1935 at Kempsey, N.S.W. Death Cert:9234/1935.

Trooper: Lionel "lloyd" Hastings Plummer (1885-1916) 6th Australian Light Horse.

The Macleay Chronicle 23rd February 1916.

Bellimbopinni Seven Oaks lost two fine men last week, both of whom belonged to the A.I Forces, Mr and Mrs Tom Plummer's son Lloyd, who died at Liverpool Military Hospital from pneumonia and Wilfred Rudder.

The Macleay Chronicle 1st March 1916.

Death; Plummer - February 16, at Liverpool, Trooper Lloyd H Plummer of the 6th Light Horse, eldest son of Mr and Mrs T.J Plummer, of Smithtown, Macleay River, aged 20 years

The Maclean Chronicle. Wednesday 3rd April 1935.

Mr. Kingsley T. Plummer.

A sad fatality occurred at Clybucca on Saturday, when Mr. Kingley Thomas Plummer, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Plummer passed away as the result of a bullet wound in his head. The deceased young man, aged 28 years, had been living with his brother, Mr. Stanmore R. Plummer, for some time, and had assisted with the milking early that morning. He had been at the Show on Friday, and on Saturday did not appear for breakfast or dinner. Being of a very retiring nature, and not always in the best of health his absence occasioned no surprise till it was found that his bed had not been slept in on Saturday night. After a search his body was found in a saccaline patch about 200 yards from the house, with a bullet wound in the forehead and a Browning automatic rifle beneath his leg. The rifle contained twelve live cartridges, and eighteen empty shells lay around, as if deceased had been practising shooting, as was often his habit. Mr Stanmore (Stace) R. Plummer, of Clybucca, and Mr. George Osborne Plummer, of the E.S. & A. Bank, Moss Vale, are brothers. One brother and two sisters predeceased him.

The funeral, under conduct of Mr. J. R. Garland, took place to Frederickton Church of England Cemetery on Monday the Rev. J. W. Symonds officiating at the graveside, assisted by Rev. E. C. Knox, in the presence of a large number of relatives and friends.

Trove Article

Frederickton Cemetery

Grave of Valerie, Kingsley and Alison Plummer. Frederickton Cemetery.

The Maclean Chronicle. Wednesday 14th August 1935.

Mr. Stanmore Plummer.

Macleay folk were saddened, Friday last, when news was received of the death of Mr. Stanmore Robert Scott ('Stace') Plummer, of Clybucca, son of Mr and Mrs T. J. Plummer, of South West Rocks. The late Mr Plummer, who saw a good deal of of service with the A.I.F. in the Great War, had suffered greatly from the effects of gas; but his cheery good nature enabled him to hide his sufferings for at long time. Lately however, complications necessitated his entry into Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, where he passed away as stated. The deceased gentleman, aged but 38 years, is survived by his wife (Miss Maty Wheeldon), a daughter of Mr and Mrs W. J. Wheeldon of Scarness, Queensland. He is also survived by one son (Peter) and one daughter (Judith). One brother, George, is on the staff of the E.S. & A. Bank at Moss Vale. The casket was brought to Kempsey on Saturday; and the funeral, under conduct of Mr Jos. T. Walker, took place to Frederickton Church of England Cemetery. The Rev. J. W. Symonds officiated at a service in All Saints' Church, Kempsey and also at the graveside, where Archdeacon Knox assisted. The late Mr Plummer was a member of the 34th Battalion, A.I.F. and members of both Macleay' and Lower Macleay R.S.S.I.L. branches formed a guard of honour, while Bandmaster Sands played the Last Post The casket was draped with the Union Jack and Australian Flag; and the innumerable wreaths were tied with the 34th Battalion colours, purple and green. Much sympathy is extended the be reaved family.

Trove Article

Frederickton Cemetery

Frederickton Cemetery

Hi David,

I came across a 34th Battalion Victory Medal on eBay - it belonged to Stanmore Robert Plummer #7518. I bought it and I’d like to donate it to your collection if you’d like to keep it? I’m happy to mail it to you.

From the newspaper articles I’ve read on Trove (I’ve added links to his Discovering ANZACs page:, he passed away in August 1935 aged 38 years old. He also had a brother Lloyd Plummer in the Light Horse who died during the war. I think this would have been Lionel Hastings Plummer – I also found a genealogy website which looks like someone has done some research into the family and it has listed the name Lionel (‘Lloyd’) Plummer as a brother of Stanmore’s.

Alicia Patterson, January 2016.

Military Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

World War 1 Records

© Commonwealth of Australia (National Archives of Australia)

Under Construction; 04/07/2013-03/02/2016.

Web Counter
Web Counter