Archibald G HARDEN. (1899-1928)


Pte 6342 HARDEN 35 BNPte 6342 HARDEN 35 BN


Private: 6342 Archibald G HARDEN.

Born: 1899. Wallsend, New South Wales. Australia. Birth Cert:26060/1899.

Married: 1921. Cessnock, New South Wales, Australia. Marriage Cert:18180/1921.

Wife: Lillian Gertrude Harden. nee: Short. (18..-1974) Death Cert:8589/1974.

Died: November 1928. Adamstown, New South Wales, Australia. Death Cert:20005/1928.

Father: Robert Harden. (18..Kilsyth, Scotland.-1920 Cessnock) Death Cert:9719/1920.

Mother: Christina Harden. nee: Gracie. (18..-1939 Cessnock) Death Cert:16701/1939.


Archibald Harden enlisted with the AIF on the 12th October 1916 at the Sydney Showgound and was allocated to the 6th Australian Light Horse with the rank of Trooper on the 21st of October until the 1st of November where he was transfered to the 18th Reinforcements, 20th Battalion. At The Show Ground strenuous training was carried out and the men were very keen and fit, whilst their comfort and health were made a special study. Food was good and ample and sports a nd recreation were not overlooked. Equiptment with kit bags and neccessary clothing were issued before the Reinforcements proceeded to Woolloomooloo Wharf where they embarked onboard HMAT A29 "Suevic" on the 11th November 1916 for England.

HMAT A29 Seuvic


Whist at sea onboard the "Suevic" Archibald committed an OFFENCE at Sea on the 12th of January 1917 being BREAKING SHIP and his AWARD 168 Hours Detention by Lieutenant Colonel D P WHITE.

Archibald disembarked at Devonport England on the 30th January 1917 and was marched in the the 5th Training Battalion at Rollestone. The Reinforcements settled down to hard training, which included Route Marching, Trench Digging, Bomb Practice, Musketry and General Camp Routine. Archibald and the 20th Battalion Reinforcements proceeded overseas for France via Folkstone on the 25th of April 1917 and was marched in the Estaples the next day where he went into Billets until the 30th May when he was marching out the the reserve lines where Archibald was Taken on in Strength with the 20th Battalion on the 2nd of May.

On the 18th of May 1917, Archibald was Accidentlly Wounded when he was cleaning his Rifle he received a Bayonet Wound to his Right Shoulder. A field enquiry found (Soldier not to Blame) Archibald was treated by the Australian Field Ambulance, and upon his return to the line's he was transfered to the 35th Battalion AIF on the 4th of June 1917 as the Battalion was preparing for the push at Messines.

7th June 1917.


The 3rd Australian Divisions first major offencive was at Messines Ridge on the 7th June 1917. The Australian 3rd Division was a part of the II Anzac Corps which was allotted to the first assault. The 25th New Zealand, 3rd Australian Division with the 4th Australian Division in reserve. The 4th Division were battle hardened troops who had fought many major battles.The 3rd Australian Division were having problems getting to the "jump off" point. The day before the 9th and 10th Infantry Brigades were bombarded by German Gas-Shells around Hill 63 and Plugstreet Wood. Many of the Aussies were not wearing gas masks, but dispite this they pressed on even though they received 500 casulties.

They made it to the "jump off" point but only just with some of the men from the 9th and 10th going straight over the top without stopping. The mines went up and the attack commenced behind a protective barrage. The II Anzac Corps were attacking on the right with their objective being the southern shoulder of the ridge which included Messines, the Dover and St Yves areas as far south to the east of Plugstreet Wood.

Major General Sir John MONASH's 3rd Division had to contend with a tricky 3 mile approach out of Plugstreet Wood and after the German gas attack, but they were not detered. The 9th Infantry Brigade under Brigadier General: Alexander JOBSON and the 10th Infantry Brigade under Brigadier General W R NICHOLL had just made the jumping off point but some of the men did not stop, going straight into the assault from the approach march.

Their objective lay between St Yves and the Douve. The mines at Trench 127 and Trench 12 at Factory Farm were laid to aid this task. The explosions erupted a few seconds before zero hour and created craters of 200 feet in diameter, completely obliterating the German defence line as the 9th and 10th Infantry Brigades went over the top. The mine crates forced the 9th and 10th Brigades to veer to the left and right which caused some confusion with the main assault. It is testimony to the quality of training that every man knew the ground, tasks and objectives so well.

Private: 1804 John CARROLL 33rd Battalion, rushed the enemy's trench and bayoneted four of the German occupants. He then noticed a comrade in difficulties and went to his assistance, killing another German. He then attacked single handed a German Machine Gun Team, killing all three of them and capturing the gun. He later rescued two of his comraded who had been buried alive by German Shell Fire, and in spite of heavy shelling and machine gun fire he dug them out alive and saved them from certain death. John was awarded the Victoria Cross.

The German foward zone was completely engulfed and taken by the main assault. The two supporting battalions of each brigade then passed the leading battalion to continue the advance. The men were constantly re-supplied and the ridge was taken. There were many German prisoners taken during the offencive. The 3rd Division was well ahead with the 9th Infantry Brigade pushing on beyond Grey Farm, and on the right the 10th Infantry Brigade were veering left towards Septieme Barn north of Douve.

The German resistance was heavy but was generally brushed aside by tanks and artillery before the infantry had to become too involved.The 4th Bavarian Divisions Artillery had made little impact, but as the day wore on the 3rd Division and later the 4th Australian Division received many casulties from German artillery. (70% of all casulties during WW1 were from artillery).

By 9:00am nearly 6 hours after the assault began the Germans were in dissaray, but there was a major problem as the Australians received less casulties as anticipated and when ordered to dig into the ridge they had so many men, that some could not find shelter. the 35th battalion were dug in around Seaforth Farm.

The second phase of the operation was to take the Oosttaverne Line. The 3rd Australian Division would now be in reserve with the 4th Division attacking. The 9th Infantry Brigade (33-34-35-36Bn) were near Thatched Cottage facing Warneton. The river Lys was to their right and the Plugstreet Wood was now behind them.

Once their objectives were taken the troops consolidated. A barrarge to stop and counter attack was shortnened and caught three battalions which had to retire. By 9:00pm this part of the Oosttaverne Line was abandonded. At 10:45pm General Godley ordered the 3rd and 4th Divisions to retake it. This they did by the early hours of the 8th of June.

The Battle for Messines Ridge during May-June 1917 saw 35 officers and 1,631 other ranks loose their lives.

9th Infantry Brigade Casulties.
33rd Battalion. AIF 8 Officers 382 Other ranks
34th Battalion. AIF 10 Officers 378 Other ranks
35th Battalion. AIF 5 Officers 431 Other ranks
36th Battalion. AIF 9 Officers 421 Other ranks
9th Machine Gun Company. AIF 2 Officer 17 Other ranks
9th Light Trench Mortor Battery. 1 Officer 2 Other ranks


17th July 1917.

Relieved 35th Bn AIF in front line Messines Sector. 19th Lieutenant: Wynter Wallace WARDEN wounded whilst supervising transport of rations over Messines Ridge.

12th October 1917


At 1:30am rain showers began. By 2:30am it was raining lightly but steadily, by 3:30 fairly heavily. the infantry moved through the pitchy dark in single file. In some battalions each man held on to the equiptment of the man ahead of him; if touch was broken, those in front had to come back. The news that the line as reported by the 66th division was not held only just reached the incomming troops. Accordingly, in the right brigade (9th) the leading Company Commanders Captain: Clarence Smith JEFFRIES. V.C. and Captain: Telford Graham GILDER M.C. both of the 34th Battalion stopped their men at the entrance to Broodseinde railway cutting, and themselves went to make sure that their column might not run into the enermy.

At Keerselaarhoek Cemetery they found the tape duly laid, and met the officer of the 36th Battalion who had laid it, and by 3:00 am the time set, the 34th battalion was extended on its jumping-off position. But during the previous halt and afterwards, as it lay on the tape, the battalion was persistently shelled and suffered many casualties.

The first shell killed three signallers. Lieutenant: Albert Leslie WATSON. a signal officer of the 34th Battalion, a brave and enterprising leader who also was at the head of the column was severely wounded and all his staff hit. After establising a forward command post Lieutenant: Thomas Fraser BRUCE 36th Battalion was also killed. Lieutenant Colonel: John Alexander MILNE. 36th Battalion supervising the assembly was knocked down by a shell but continued to command. Captain, Chaplain: Charles MURPHY was also wounded.

(BEAN; History of World war 1 Vol IV p911)

Only one Australian Division, the 3rd, was wholly employed in the days offensive. but the division was to capture Passchendaele an in spite of the depressing conditions, it was eager to achieve the distinction of doing so. One unit carried the Australian flag,to be planted in Passchendaele, and although officers and men in general were not enthusiastic concerning such "stunts" the Commander-in-Chief had been informed, and had told General Monash that, when this flag was planted, the news would be immediatly cabled to Australia.

Some keen spirits looked on the operation simply as a dash for Passchendaele. One young company commander of Monash's reserve battalion, the 33rd, in face of a strict prohibition, led on his company as soon as the barrage fell. Starting from a line 350 yards in rear of the general alignment, the 3rd Division was out of touch with its neighbours from the outset. The heavy shelling on the tapes had made orderly disposition there almost impossible, as German Machine-Guns, undisturbed by the barrage now opened immediatly, no opportunity offered of restoring proper formation.

The 9th Brigage went forward in the utmost confusion and a terrible mix up as reported by Captain: Willaim Derwent DIXON D.S.O 35th Battalion at 6:40 am and "Great Confusion" was the description given by Captain: Henry Vince CARR 35th Battalion. Even on the ridge, the mud was difficult, the hope, if there ever was one, of catching up before the quick barrage finished.

The 9th Infantry Brigade's intendered direction lay not along the ridge and the Passchendeale road, but diagonally across them, and parallel to the railway, which most of the brigade could not see. As the jumping-off line was practically at right angles to the ridge, the brigade tendered to advance alone the heights. The Machine-Gun fire at the start came, on the 9th Brigade's right, from the ruined house near Defy Crossing; on its centre from, "Hillside Farm"; and on its left from Augustus Wood.

The pillbox opposite the centre was supported from the rear by a trench in which were Germans with Machine-Guns, and here occured a delay which threatened to wreck to whole attack. it was not until an hour after the programme time that these places were rushed by the neighbouring portion of the line under Captain: Henry Vince CARR and Captain: Robert Derwent DIXON. DSO of the 35th Battalion. The trench contained 35 Germans and 4 Machine-Guns. Part of the line was also held up by a pillbox close to Passchendaele road near the highest point of the ridge.

Here there was practically no shelter from attack, but Captain Clarence Smith JEFFRIES. V.C. of the 34th Battalion managed to organise a party, with Sergeant: 21 James BRUCE and another N.C.O Corporal: 2036 Vere Cummings STEVENSON and a dozen men, and outflanking it, charged the place from the rear, capturing 25 Germans and 2 Machine-Guns. These actions set free the advance. The pillbox captured by Captain Clarence Smith JEFFRIES. V.C. being not far short of the first objective, the 34th Battalion dug in there.

Great loss had been incured; the 34th Battalion had only three officers left and there were wide gaps in the line. The right flank had swung far away from the railway, along which the 4th Division was attacking, but on the left Captain: Thomas Graham GILDER M.C. of the 34th Battalion who had been wounded by a Machine-Gun bullet, but was carrying on found the 10th Brigade digging in slightly to his left under Captain: LATCHFORD, 38th Battalion, and fell back seventy yards to join it.

The Advance to the second objective was to begin at 8:25, the low clouds had opened, and fleecy cirrus with patches of blue were widening overhead and the sun had come out. The 9th Brigade had been so late in reaching the first objective that, while most of the 34th Battalion dug in, the 35th Battalion, allotted for the second phase, moved straight on. Standing on the Passchendaele road, Captain: Henry Vince CARR and Captain: William Derwent DIXON. D.S.O of the 35th Battalion endevoured to decide where the barrage then was; at first Carr thought it may be behind them, but finally decided that it was ahead.

The confusion at the start had split the brigade into mixed parties of all battalions and many of the 34th went on with the 35th, the main body of which, about 100 in all, now advanced along the south-eastern side of the ridge in order to catch the barrage. The hour was probably a little before that for the second advance. A German Machine-Gun in the gap between the brigade's right and the railway immediately opened with deadly effect.

Major: John Bruce BUCHANAN 36th Battalion, the senior forward officer was killed. At this critical juncture Captain: Clarence Smith JEFFRIES. V.C. of the 34th Battalion, again accompanied by Sergeant: 21 James BRUCE, led out a few men from the first objective and made for the gun. it was shooting in short bursts, and he was able to work up fairly close. Seizing a moment when it was firing to the north, he and his men rushed at it from the west. It was switched round, killing him, and sending his men to the ground.

But when its fire eased they worked round it, rushed the position, seized 25 Germans and 2 Machine-Guns. This gallant and effective action Captain: Clarence Smith JEFFRIES. V.C. was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for removing the chief danger to the advance along the crest, but as soon as the 35th Battalion crossed to the eastern side of the hill it became the target of a number of field and heavy guns which, from the hedges and other cover in various parts of the landscape, fired over open sights.

After passing a corpse on its right, the 35th Battalion settled down on what its officers took to be the second objective, although on the extreme right they were actually short of the first. Captain: Henry Vince CARR, now the senior officer on the spot, reported; 8:35. On objective, with about 100 Captain: William Derwent DIXON. DSO and three officers. Casulties 25 or 30 per cent. Captain: Henry Charles Dight CADELL M.C   Lieutenant: Charles Teesdale MAIN   Lieutenant: Keith Maitland DAY reported killed and Lieutenant: Frank HORNE   Lieutenant: Christopher Kyffin MEARS  Lieutenant: Charles John HENRY were wounded. Prisoners sent back 400-500. Contact on flanks uncertain, being heavily shelled.

Three posts were established under surviving officers, right Lieutenant: Norman Beade D'ARCY M.C centre Lieutenant: Joseph Francis ADAMS left Lieutenant: Harold Sydney WYNDHAM. In this brigade the battalion for the final objective was the 36th, and a report came along that it had gone through. Actually, it had advanced with the 35th, but, on the left, penetrated to the second objective, which bad been reconnoitred during the previous halt by the commander of the company Captain Robert Austin GOLDRICK. M.C.

He went up the road towards Passchendaele. The barrage, he said afterwards was no hindrance to him, although he left the line lying as close to it as possible "or where he thought it was." He was unable to detect the intensification of the barrage for the second phase, but led his men forward at the proper hour.

As no other battalion was there, he now established the line with its left on the road 600 yards from the church, about the point reached by the 66th Division's troops on October 9th. In front of the position Captain: Robert Austin GOLDRICK. M.C. and Lieutenant E.H Fleiter (39th Battalion) found hidden in a shellhole men of the 66th Division. One had a broken arm, the other trench-feet. They took the Australians at first for Germans. When reassured,"we knew the Australians would come," they said, 'We prayed hard."

From the direction of the church, which lay straight down the highway, no fire came. two Germans ran up the road and surrendered. South-east of the village, along the Moorslede road, were the Germans who seemed "very windy," and near the road two 5.9-inch howitzers began to blaze at the troops bigging in.

The 9th Brigade had taken its second objective and the 10th its first, but the position of the officers in charge of these advanced lines was full of anxiety. On the eastern slope Captain: Henry Vince CARR 35th Battalion, the senior officer in this part of the 9th Brigade's front, could see the 4th Division somewhat ahead of its right, and by 10:55 he had discovered that the 36th was on the left, but farther left than the 10th Brigade was far behind on its first objective . The German Guns ahead were sniping with dreadful accuracy. Carr on the western slope, sent back for instructions: "what am I to do?"

Word of the true situation reached headquarters slowley. As on the 9th, the first news was all encouraging. General: MONASH in the Ypres ramparts heard shortly after 7 that both brigades were "well away"; but by 8:26 he had ample evidence that the first objective was taken. At 9:25 the intelligence officer examining prisoners(Lieutenant Cutlack, Official War Correspondent) reported having heard from the wounded men that the second objective had been reached.

At 10:28 headquarters was informed of a statement of a wounded man, that the 38th Battalion had gone through. A further report that Australians had been seen at Crest Farm although quickly contradicting but probably true nevertheless. Which confirmed Monash's impression that his division was succeeding. Concerning the New Zealand brigade on his left, however, there was no word until, at 10:50, there arrived the tragic information that the New Zealand Division was stopped by the enemy alone the entire front.

Monash has already heard at 9:55 that the 10th Brigade was held up by fire from Bellevue Spur. Believing that his division was still advancing, he asked that every gun that the New Zealand Division could spare should be turned upon that ridge to suppress the fire. Meanwhile, he would order the reserve (39th) battalion of the 10th Brigade to be ready to assist in holding the ground already won. The reserve battalion the (33rd) of the 9th Brigade he was still keeping back to assist in the capture of Passchendaele.

Shortly sfter noon news of the true situation arrived. Lieutenant Jackson of the 40th Battalion had established at Waterfields pillbox near the Ravebeek a forward report-centre from which a series of messages, admirably accurate, was flashed by lamp to the headquarters of Lieutenant Colonel Lord of the 40th Battalion. Thus Bridadier General McNicoll of the 10th Brigade was able to inform Monash of the pricise position of Giblin's Line. He added that the situation was very serious and the casulties very heave. At the same time from the front line of the 9th Brigade arrived a pigeon message, sent by Captain: Richard GADD of the 36th Battalion.

We are on the Blue Line (second objective) with composite force all three battalions, both flanks in the air.

The New Zealand Division was to make a second attempt at 3:00pm, and Monash was of the opinion that from the 9th Brigade, well forward on the ridge, patrols might still work northward around Crest Farm. His reserve, the 33rd Battalion (9th Brigade), was accordingly ordered to attempt this at 4:30pm and the 10th Brigade's foward line being meanwhile reinforced by its own reserve, the 39th Battalion.

These orders went out, but none of them were fulfilled. The New Zealand Division had been defeated by obstacles which no hastily renewed bombardment could have overcome. no infantry in the world could have crossed the Ravebeek mud, penetrated the dense wire, and attacked the crowded pillboxes of Bellview with the assastance of a barrage which did not even screen the advance. No blame can attatch to the artillery. Its commander, according to the New Zealand official history, had reported on the previous day that his guns might be unable to give efficient support.

This magnificent division, which lost nearly 3,000 men, had been held up in almost exactly the same position as the 49th three days before-the left brigade penetrating half-way to the first objective, the right stopped almost at the start.The Germans were reinforcing. The New Zealand battalion commanders knew that their men had no chance of succeding by renewed attack, and the order was eventually cancelled.

As for the Australians, of the two battalions that Monash had now ordered to participate, the 39th had already to a large extent been involved in the fighting, and the 33rd, endevouring to reach its position of readiness for outflanking Passchendaele,had suffered great loss. No less than 6 of its Officers were killed or mortally wounded. Captain: Wilfred Frank HINTONin command of the forward company, Lieutenant Leonard Rockley BROWNLOW  Lieutenant: Thomas Acheson ARMSTRONG   Lieutenant: Albert George KILPATRICK  Lieutenant William REES-REYNOLDS and Lieutenant: Norman Francis GOBLE.

By the time Lieutenant Colonels Henderson DSO 39th Battalion and MORSHEAD attempted to carry Monash's orders, they found that the attacking force of both brigades was back almost at its starting point. What had happened was as follows.

Neither Major: Giblin near the Ravenbeek nor Captain: Henry Vince CARR on the ridge had received their messages sent serveral hours earlier. The 9th Brigade's line was still being battered by the German Guns. Captain: Richard GADD 36th Battalion, whose troops were being wiped out, informed Captain: Henry Vince CARR 35th Battalion that Lieutenant Colonel: John Alexander MILNE D.S.O 36th Battalion had now come forward to Hillside Farm. Carr accordingly sent Captain: William Derwent DIXON. D.S.O with Gadd to explain to Milne the desperate nature of their situation. Milne said that he would try to get their troops relieved after dark, but till relieved they must hold on.

(BEAN; History of Word War 1 Vol IV page 921) Charles Edwin Woodrow BEAN

Meanwhile, however, the German artillery was annihialating some parts of their line. All leaders of Carr's three posts were out of action. Lieutenant: Joseph Francis ADAMS was Killed in Action and Lieutenant: Norman Beade D'ARCY M.C and Lieutenant: Harold Sydney WYNDHAM were wounded. Of the remaining officers of the 36th Battalion, Major: John Bruce Buchanan and Lieutenant: Fredrick William PUTNEY had been Killed in Action and Captain: Robert Austin GOLDRICK M.C wounded. Farther back Lieutenant: Sydney COOK had been Killed in Action and Lieutenant: William WAND and Lieutenant: Herbert Reginald MAILER were wounded.

At 3 o'clock rain began to fall steadily. at 3:15pm Captain: Richard GADD 36th Battalion, thought agreeing with Captain: Henry Vince Carr 35th Battalion that to hold on meant innihilation, refused, in view of his Colonel's orders, to retire. Carr consented to wait while Gadd again sent word to Lieutenant Colonel: John Alexander MILNE D.S.O. Carr himself at 12: 30 had sent Captain William Derwent DIXON. DSO to the headquarters of the 35th Battalion at " Seine", from which no word had been received all day.

At 3:45pm, no reply having come from Milne, and Dixon not having returned as he had been kept at 35th Battalion headquarters awaiting the arrival of an order from brigade headquarters concerning the projected operation by the reserve battalion, Gadd agreed to withdraw and Carr sent along the line a note: The 35th Battalion will retire.

When visiting Gadd, Carr had warned the troops of the probable order to withdraw, and he now saw that the left had already begun to retire. He told men whom he passed to get back as fast as they could to the 34th Battalion (which he believed to be on the first objective). Captain: William James GORDON M.C 36th Battalion, strongly dissatisfied with the order, went straight to Lieutenant Colonel: John Alexander MILNE D.S.O urged that the forward position was tenable, and with Milne and Major: John Martin HAWKEY M.C rushed out to stop the withdrawal. But it was too late.

The 34th was not, as Captain: Henry Vince Carr 35th Battalion, believed, on the first objective. The Commander of the line, Captain: John William RICHARDSON 34th Battalion, on hearing of the extreme weakness of the force at the second objective, had reinforced it. He and his only remaining officer's Lieutenant: James Clement BURGES  Lieutenant: Bruce Gray McKenzie  Lieutenant: John Abbott LONGWORTH had all been Killed in Action while organising on the first objective, and the first objective now lay empty. The retiring troops, being without orders as to the position to be taken up, streamed back past Milne's headquarters.

All that Hawkey, Gordon, Gadd, and others could then do was to lead a fraction of them forward again to the first objective, where they remained during the night. Captain: William Derwent DIXON. D.S.O. with Captain: John Grieve PATERSON adjutant of the 35th, went up to organise the 35th there, but could find none of it's men. When eventually re-formed the remnent of the 35th was temporarily attached as a Company to the 33rd Battalion.

9th-12th October 1917 saw the 3rd Division, 9th and 10th Infantry Brigade in action during the Battle of Passchendaele, which saw massive losses and suffering in the Australian ranks. The casualties numbered 3,199 men in 24hours during the height battle. The 34th Battalion lost every officer that day, either killed or wounded including their Medical Officer, Major: Gother Robert Caslide CLARKE and some of his staff were killed while dressing the wounded. The spirit of some of the wounded is illustrated by the case of Corporal: 3170 Winsleigh Alexander MURRAY 35th Battalion, (formerly a Methodist Minister from Newcastle) gave up his place in a queue waiting for stretcher bearers and was never heard of again.

The Battle of Passchendaele saw 60 Officers and 1,322 other ranks loose their lives.

9th Infantry Brigade Casulties.
33rd Battalion. AIF 11 Officers 273 Other ranks
34th Battalion. AIF 15 Officers 323 Other ranks
35th Battalion. AIF 18 Officers 296 Other ranks
36th Battalion. AIF 15 Officers 383 Other ranks
9th Machine Gun Company. AIF 1 Officer 36 Other ranks
9th Light Trench Mortor Battery. - Officer 11 Other ranks

7th December 1917.

The Battalion was relieved in the LE TOUQUET Sector by the 33rd Battalion, and moved back to the billets of the Support Battalion at PONT de NIEPPE. The casualties sustained during our recent tour of duty were; 1 man Killed and 2 wounded.

8th August 1918.

At about 1:00am a halt was made a few hundred yards in rear of the assembly tape and hot cocoa was served out to the men. The approach march was over and the Battalion on the tape, which had been ably laid by Lieutenant: Wynter Wallace WARDEN and his scouts by 2.30am. The enemy was very quiet and we suffered no casualties before Zero hour which was at 4:20am when the barrage opened and the advance commenced as per App 11. At 6:45am the objective was reached by the most advanced troops and consolidation commenced. Tanks from the rear came forward and and formed up at the rear with the 4th Australian Division in artillery formation. At 8:20am as the barrage lifted the whole line went forward through us as if on parade.

(35th Battalion War Diary)

Archibald was Wounded in Action during this action where he receied a Gun Shot Wound the his left Buttox and Right Thigh and was treated by the 11th Australian Field Ambulance before he was evacuated by Stretcher Bearers to the Casualty Clearing Station. The next day Archibald was transfered to the 13th General Hospital in Boulogue where he remained until he was invalided to England on the 14th of August 1918. Upon his disembarkation in England, Archibald was admitted to the Coombe Lodge, Great Warley, Essex for further treatment for and rehabilitation until the 27th of August where he was transfered to the 1st Auxillery Hospital.

Coombe Lodge, Great Warley Hospital, Essex.

Archiblad was discharged from hospital on the 19th of August and granted leave from the 29th of August unti the 12th of September at Sutton Veny but failed to report to the No:2 Command Depot at 10:30am and was reported as AWL from 10:30am 12.9.18 to 10:am 19.9.18. AWARDforfeit 14 days pay by Major: C H HOWARD. He was marched in to the No: 1 Command and proceeded overseas for France on the 8th of November where he was marched in at Fovant. Archibald was again charged with AWL on the 6th January 1919 and was repatriated back to England on the on the 15th of January where he was charged with failure to hand leave pass in Award 28 days forfeit pay by Major: William Vere Jardine BLAKE.

Archiblad was marched in to the 9th Training where he remained until he embarked from England on the 9th March 1919 onboard the "Kashmir" and disembarked at Sydney where he attended his Disembarkation Medical Board assessment on the 2nd May 1919 and was discharged from the AIF on the 9th June 1919.


Cessnock War Memorial HARDEN A.

Family Information

Archibald was a single 19 year old Butcher from Cessnock, N.S.W upon enlistment. Prior to enlisting with the AIF, Archibald served for 4 years with 14B Infantry Militia His parents Robert and Christina Harden were married in Minmi, N.S.W. Marriage Cert:7670/1896 and had 6 children. William J Harden born 1897 at West Wallsend, N.S.W. Birth Cert:17314/1897. Archibald Harden born 1899 at West Wallsend, N.S.W. Birth Cert:26060/1899 and died 1928 at Adamstown, N.S.W. Death Cert:20005/1928 and is buried at Sandgate Cemetery Robert Harden born 1901 at West Wallsend, N.S.W. Birth Cert:36835/1901. David M G Harden born West Wallsend, N.S.W. Birth Cert:8663/1905. Christina M Harden born 1909 at Cessnock, N.S.W. Birth Cert:23927/1909. Joseph Harden born 1911 at Cessnock, N.S.W. Birth Cert:38884/1911.

Archibald was buried on the 19th November 1928 in the Presbyterian Section of the Sandgate Cemetery; Section 10NW Lot 17. Unfortunatly Archibald lies in an unmarked grave.

Sandgate Cemetery Project

15th January 2015.

"Lakehaven resident Norma Bell was surprised to find a bag of coins in her late husband’s cupboard and one particular coin with a connection to Cessnock caught her eye. A French franc with one side buffered off and scratched into its surface, the name ‘Harden, A’ and the numeric inscription ‘6342.’ After carrying out some research with her daughter Glennis, they discovered that the initials on the coin were that of Private Archibald Harden a 19 year old Cessnock butcher who enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force on October 12, 1916. Further research found that he embarked from Sydney just a few short months later to the Western Front on November 11, 1916 aboard the HMAT Suevic A29. Pte. Harden the joined the 20th Battalion, 18th Reinforcement and served in France until the end of the war when he returned to Australia on March 9, 1919. His next-of-kin is listened as his mother, Mrs. Christina Harden of Cessnock.

Mrs. Bell said she has no idea where the coin came from but she thought it might mean something to the relatives of Pte. Harden, particularly with the upcoming Anzac Day centenary. Do you know more about Private Archibald Harden or his family?

Call the Advertiser on 4990 1244 or email krystal.sellars

Cessnock Advertiser; 16th January 2015.

21st January 2015.

"Featured in last week’s Advertiser, the coin was found by Lake Haven resident Norma Bell among her late husband’s possessions Mrs. Bell and her daughter Glennis researched the inscription and traced it back to Pte. Harden, who was from Cessnock. The Advertiser received phone calls and Facebook comments pointing us towards the family of Roy Harden, who used to own a garage in Vincent Street. Soon enough, Roy’s daughter Robyn Gilmore phoned and confirmed that Archibald was her great-uncle the brother of her grandfather Robert. A few phone calls later, Mrs. Gilmore tracked down Archibald’s only living daughter, Betty Bowcock, who lives in Queensland and was said to be thrilled with the coin’s discovery. “Betty has nothing of her father’s,” Mrs. Gilmore said. “This is so important to the family, and with the Anzac centenary coming up, it’s come at the right time.”

Former Aberdare resident Graham Parsons is researching the history of the Diggers who appear on the Aberdare Cemetery Memorial Gates and provided the following information on Pte. Harden. “Archibald was the son of Robert Harden and Christina (nee Gracie), and was born in 1899 at Wallsend. His siblings were: William, Robert, David, Christina & Joseph. “Archibald’s father Robert was born in Kilsyth, Scotland. “Archibald married Lillian Gertrude Short at Cessnock in 1921. Archibald died in 1928 at Adamstown aged 29 and is buried at Sandgate Cemetery, while Mrs. Harden died in 1974. ”Another article supplied by Mr. Parsons explained that Archibald died after falling from the balcony of the Royal Standard Hotel in Adamstown, where he was the publican.

Cessnock Advertiser; 21st January 2015.

Military Records

(Australian National Archives)

Under Construction; 12/11/2014-16/01/2015.

Web Counter
Web Counter