Return to home page  Return to 35th Battalion page


Private: 1112 Wilfred DENTON.

Born: 29th December 1888. New Lambton, New South Wales, Australia. NSW Birth Cert:




Father: George Denton.

Mother: Eliza Denton. nee:.

Address:Sixth Street, Adamstown, New South Wales, Australia.


Wilfed Denton enlisted on the 25th of September 1914 with the 1st Battalion AIF. Wilfred contracted an illness whist serving in Egypt and was returned to Australia and discharged. Wilfred re-enlisted in January 1916 with the 35th Battalion and was an original member. He embarked on the 1st of May 1916 from Sydney, whilst serving in France he was wounded and gassed twice before returning to Australia.

35th Battalion Pin Sept 1916 was donated to the collection by Wilfred's daughter in 2003 and is now in the collection.

Wilfred had 2 brothers who served during the Great War, John Denton enlisted on the 9th of January 1915 as an Air Mechanic, service number 104310 and served with the Royal Flying Corps. John was born on the 6th of March 1894 at Jilliby-Jilliby, New South Wales. He Attended Adamstown Public School. John served in France where he was Wounded in Action, 1st occasion at Vernulls on the La Bass Chanal. John was admitted to the Royal Herbert Hospital, Woollich, London.

John recovered and joined the Cycle Corps before returning to France where he was Wounded in Action, 2nd Occasion. After recovering John was transfered to the 51st Scottish Rifles where he was Wounded in Action 3rd Occasion.on the 20th July 1916. John recovered and transfered to the Royal Flying Corps until he returned to Australai in July 1916.

Arthur Oliver Denton enlisted on the 2nd of March 1915 and served as a Corporal in the 2nd Battalion AIF, service number 531. Arthur was also born at Jilliby-Jilliby on the 17th of December 1896 and attanded Adamstown Public School. Arthur served at Gallipoli and was evacuated before serving in France. Arthur was Killed in Action at Bullecourt and is comemerated at the and is commemerated in perpetuity by the Commonweath War Graves Commission at the Villers Bretonneux Memorial, France. Arthur died aged 21 years, on the 5th of May 1917.

Under construction

Web Counter
Web Counter